Jul 24, 2012

We Are the Mods!

So I realized that a lot of people don't know what "mods" are, and in my description to the right it says "an eccentric mod...blahblahblah." I assume most of you that are reading this are thinking "What the hell is that? Is it that thing next to my computer that you put dvds in?" I can assure you that a mod isn't a mod-em (as far as I know). Mods (came from the word Modernists) were the rivals of Rockers (aka Teddy Boys) in the 60's/70's. They're notorious for riding their Lambrettas/Vespas (high performance italian scooters), popping pills, being well-dressed, listen to ska/jazz, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces (etc.), dance to live music, and normally feel misunderstood (Mods are the epitome of teen angst). Well, besides the pill-popping non-sense I can relate to all of that. I don't really feel misunderstood either, because I understand who I am and that's all that matters but I'm a teenager. What do I know? 

While I'm on the subject of mods, one of my favourite movies is about a mod and his mod antics. Quadrophenia was originally a rock opera by The Who, and I guess they were so pleased with themselves they made it into a movie (I'm not complaining though!). The main character is Jimmy who hates his life, his parents, and his job. The only time he feels excepted is when he's with his friends who are in a mod clique. There's really not more I can say that won't give anything away about the movie, but it's truly amazing (and so is the soundtrack!)

Quadrophenia at Sounds Film Festival 2008
Quadrophenia
QuadropheniaQuadrophenia
QuadropheniaQuadrophenia
QuadropheniaQuadrophenia 6
(Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

"Look I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a mod, see? I mean,  you gotta be somebody, ain't ya, or you might as well jump in the sea and drown." -Well said, Jimmy.

Have I convinced you to watch this movie yet? And if there's another movie about mods (not a documentary though) that any of you guys know about I'd love to know! 

Anyways I've been back on my busy track! A few friends and I actually took some pictures today making fun of soft grunge but they actually came out really well. And in a few days another friend is throwing a vintage/lp party (where people have to dress vintage and bring a record/45/cassette) and then I'm getting a few friends together and we're going to try to start a girl band. And after all of that happens I get to go to New Orleans for my sixteenth birthday! I'm really excited because we're going by train and I've never been on a train and my excitement level is at a asdfghjkl; right now. 

In the past week people have taken some pictures of me (not like an outfit of the day thing though) and I really liked how some turned out so take a gander.
This one's my favourites, and it was taken by Damon. The film messed up, but it just looks really great to me.


Also taken by Damon^



The other night I got really bored and I hadn't done anything productive all day. So I decided to dress up and do my make-up like the lovely Edie Sedgwick. I watched Factory Girl the other day (WHICH WAS SO GOOD. I highly recommend it if you dig the 60's.) 




Zoot Suit - The High Numbers
My Babe- The Remains
Tin Soldier - The Small Faces
I'm the Face - The High Numbers
Gloria - Shadows of Knight
When I Think of You - Twiggy Lawson
Elenore - The Turtles
Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs 
Sometimes - The Zombies
Jan Pehchan Ho - Mohammed Rafi Gumnaam 
I Can Tell - Johnny Kidd & The Pirates
I'm One - The Who





1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!!! I'm also 15, and a mod. This blog is the perfect tool for aspiring mods of any age, and I think you are doing a fab job with it. Lucky you, seeing The Beach Boys! :)

    ReplyDelete

♡All comments are read & loved. Thank you so much for dropping by!♡